If you’re looking for a festival which brings together Cape Town’s finest restaurants, food and wine, then this is the event for you. The Pick n Pay Taste of Cape Town in association with Orbit Sugarfree Chewing Gum is happening at the Green Point Cricket Club from Thursday 5 May 2011 to Sunday 8 May 2011.
It’s the fourth edition of the popular food festival and this year’s list of participating restaurants includes Bistro 1682, Pierneef a La Motte, Myoga, Signal, Planet Restaurant, Fyndraai, Gold, Nobu and many more. It’s your chance to enjoy signature dishes from the restaurants, along with delicious offerings from niche food exhibitors and gourmet food suppliers.
It’s not all about food though – you can also enjoy a fine selection of wine, beer, whisky and coffee as you make your way around. Some of the highlights include the Pick n Pay Wine Theatre, the Johnnie Walker Whisky Theatre and the Grolsch Beer Academy.
Cape Town’s top chefs will be entertaining the crowds at the Pick n Pay Fresh Living Chef’s Theatre. From live cooking demonstrations, culinary challenges, entertaining tutorials, food and drink pairings, and the DStv Cookoff (on Saturday 7 May 2011), the Chef’s Theatre will once again be very popular with visitors.
Other highlights at the 2011 Pick n Pay Taste of Cape Town include the Small Producers Market (sample hand-made cheeses, pesto, home-made jams, sweets, exotic ingredients and herbs), the Taste & Buy Experience (sample and buy food and ingredients from gourmet food suppliers) and the exclusive Taste Club House (a private lounge with complimentary premium bar).
The kids are also catered for with a special Kidz Zone, hosted by Partytots and Active Tots on Saturday 7 May 2011 and Sunday 8 May 2011. There’ll be jumping castles, an obstacle course, face painting, balloon artists, characters and carousels to keep the little ones entertained at the festival.
The festival is open during these times:
- Thursday 5 May 2011: 18h30 – 22h30
- Friday 6 May 2011: 18h30 – 22h30
- Saturday 7 May 2011: 13h00 – 17h00; 18h30 – 22h30
- Sunday 8 May 2011: 12h00 – 17h00
Tickets are available from Computicket and prices range from:
- R70 Standard – Entrance to the festival and includes a Taste wine glass
- R160 Premium – Entrance to the festival and includes a Taste wine glass and R100 worth of CROWNS*
- R750 Taste Club House Experience presented by DStv – Private clubhouse, complimentary premium bar, R200 worth of CROWNS*, Taste of Cape Town gifts
* CROWNS are the festival’s currency. CROWNS can be bought along with festival tickets beforehand or on the day. Guests can use them to pay for sample dishes from restaurants or drinks from exhibitors and bars. Each Taste of Cape Town CROWN is worth R5 and prices range from 4 to 8 CROWNS per dish. Change is offered in CROWNS only.
There you have it – good food, live entertainment, a great vibe and an all-new venue. It should be a lot of fun. Enjoy!