I’m currently looking for a new apartment to rent and thought I’d share some of my thoughts on this topic. Please feel free to share your views on what you find is important when renting a home.
In the current market it’s cheaper to rent the kind of place you really want to stay in, so I rent where I live. I’ve been looking at apartments, loft apartments and small townhouse/duplex units in the southern suburbs.
After renting for the last couple of years I find these are the things I now look for:
- Security – The block has to have secure fencing and gates. And a security guard is a bonus. Burglaries can happen anywhere but I find that a real positive of living in a secure ‘lock-up and go’ block is the security and peace of mind that comes with it.
- Secure parking for visitors – While it’s important to have a secure parking space of your own, I really appreciate an apartment block which has enough secure parking for visitors. A lot of places don’t cater well for visitors but when my girlfriend, family or friends are visiting, I want them to be able to park somewhere safe and secure.
- Fitted kitchen – Most newer units have a built-in oven and hob. It’s a big plus and one less thing to cart around when you move.
- Communal facilities – A laundry, braai area and pool are all good bonuses. I like an apartment block with communal facilities as it also adds to the vibe of the place.
- Additional nice-to-haves – In some newer apartment blocks I’ve seen extra’s like DSTV-ready connections and ADSL ready connections. Depending on what your needs are, these could come in very handy.
These are all things which I look for and would persuade me to pay an extra R500 – R1000 a month on the rent. What do you look for when renting? Feel free to post your comments.