Facebook users will be happy to see that Cell C is offering free access to the popular social media platform from 1 July 2015. The promotion will be available to post-paid, top-up and pre-paid customers until 31 August 2015. After this period, the service will be free for another 12 months if you access Facebook using the Internet.org app (available at www.internet.org and the Google Play Store).
It looks like the free Facebook access will apply to:
- posting comments
- posting pictures
- viewing / sharing posts and pictures
- viewing News Feed
- does NOT apply to videos and voice calling on Messenger
Note that if you’re a pre-paid customer, you will have to recharge at least once every 30 days to receive the free Facebook benefits.
It’s worth checking out the Internet.org service in the meantime anyway, with these sites already on board:
- Information: Bing, Cell C, WikiHow, Wikipedia
- Education: BeSmart, LoveWords, FunDza, Scholars4Dev, Wattpad, WorldReader, D-Siders
- Women: Intel She Will Connect, Girl Effect, iLearn
- Health: Health24, BabyCentre and MAMA, HIV360, Unicef Facts for Life
- Marketplaces: Gumtree, OLX
- News: BBC News, News24, SuperSport
- Finance and jobs: Careers24, DAI, SmartBusiness, Money Matters