If you’ve been looking for the Shoreline DVD box set, then you’ll be pleased to hear that it’s finally available to buy. Shoreline – Discovering South Africa’s Coast, is a fantastic TV series which was screened on Monday nights on SABC 2 a while back. The groundbreaking documentary series explores the nearly 3000 kilometres of South African coastline and focuses on points of interest, history and archaeology of the vast region.
The series consists of 13 episodes presented by a team of specialist presenters – archaeologist Gavin Whitelaw, historian Nomalanga Mkhize, marine biologist Eleanor Yeld and anchor presenter Peter Butler and his dog Nujack.
In each episode, a stretch of coastline is visited to get a sense of its character and stories to help build a picture of our unique coastline. The show reveals how natural wonders and historic events have shaped the lives of coastal communities.
Click here to buy the Shoreline DVD box set. It’ll make for a fantastic Christmas gift as well.
Here are the episodes that you’ll find on the Shoreline DVD:
- Episode 1: Overview and Introduction to series
- Episode 2: Diamond Coast Alexander Bay to Groenriviersmond
- Episode 3: West Coast Papendorp to Postberg
- Episode 4: West Coast 16 Mile Beach to Robben Island
- Episode 5: The Mother City Cape Town & Table Mountain to Cape Point
- Episode 6: False Bay & Overberg Cape Point to Cape Agulhas
- Episode 7: Overberg & Garden Route Struisbaai to Knysna
- Episode 8: Garden Route Noetzi to Jeffreys Bay
- Episode 9: Sunshine Coast Port Elizabeth to Hamburg
- Episode 10: Wild Coast Cove Rock to Port Grosvenor
- Episode 11: South Coast Mkhambati to Amanzimtoti
- Episode 12: Dolphin Coast Durban to Mtunzini
- Episode 13: Elephant Coast Richards Bay to Kosi Bay
- Episode 14: The making of
Struik Publishers, along with acclaimed photographer Claudio Velasquez Rojas and content editor Jeannie Hayward, have also brought out a stunning Shoreline coffee table book based on the series. The book presents the wonder and diversity of South Africa’s coast in an odyssey that takes readers through some of the most beautiful and scenic spots on the planet – from the great gannet colony on Malgas Island to the calving grounds of the Southern right whale in Walker Bay and the nesting sites of sea turtles on the Zululand coast.
It’s a wonderful accompaniment to the Shoreline TV series and the book is beautifully presented. Click here to buy the Shoreline coffee table book.