The Nederburg Concert Series is back and once again features leading local and international classical musicians. The concert recitals take place in the Nederburg Manor House on selected Sundays from May through to December 2012. As always, a sunset picnic concert will mark the end of the concert season and in addition, a New Year’s Eve picnic concert is being planned.
Here’s the line-up of Nederburg Concerts for 2012:
- 27 May 2012: Liesl Stoltz, one of South Africa’s premier flautists
- 24 June 2012: Avigail Bushakevitz, 2010 Unisa National String Competition winner together with John Theodore, a previous SABC Music Prize winner – showcasing virtuoso music for violin and piano
- 29 July 2012: Mark Nixon, SA-born pianist now based in London – the performance will include Debussy’s exquisite Images, as well as transcriptions for the piano by Franz Liszt
- 26 August 2012: James Grace, a leading South African classical guitarist – to mark Women’s Month, his repertoire will be dedicated to the celebration of women
- 30 September 2012: A showcase from some of South Africa’s leading young classical musicians, including the winner of the ATKV-Musiqanto Song Competition, as well as other up-and-coming young musicians
- 28 October 2012: Soprano Zanne Stapelberg, together with distinguished pianist, Francois du Toit – two of the SA’s most celebrated classical artists
- 24 November 2012: Coda, one of SA’s hottest fusion bands, together with SA’s Got Talent winner James Bhemgee and leading cabaret artist Niël Rademan
- 31 December 2012: New Year’s Eve picnic concert featuring the Cape Philharmonic Orchestra
The classical recitals at the Nederburg Manor House take place on Sundays at 17h00. Tickets cost R170 each and this includes drinks on arrival and during interval, as well as delicious light snacks after the concert.
The sunset picnic concert on Saturday 24 November 2012 takes place on the green lawns in front of the Manor House. Gates open at 15h00 for the concert and the music starts at 17h00. Tickets are R80 each, with no charge for children under 12 years old. Picnic platters can be ordered for the concert. The New Year’s Eve picnic concert starts at 19h30 and ends with a finale just after midnight.
You’ll find Nederburg on Sonstraal Road in Paarl. It’s a superb wine estate and the concerts are a treat. Enjoy!