I got my first taste of the new Hudsons in Claremont the other day and in all honesty, I can’t wait to go back! The restaurant is the third Hudsons to open in Cape Town and it ticks all the boxes – great food and drinks, friendly and efficient service and a comfortable and fun atmosphere.
Hudsons is first and foremost a restaurant that serves beef burgers – and they do it well. The burgers are right up there with the best I’ve tasted in Cape Town. You can choose from sizes of 180g or 250g – if you’re feeling really hungry. Some of the options on the menu include:
- ‘The Original Royale’ (topped with bacon, cheddar, chilli and battered onion rings)
- ‘The Wiseguy’ (topped with tomato relish, fresh chilli, jalapenos and rocket)
- ‘The Player’ (topped with streaky bacon, feta cheese and avo)
- ‘The Poppa Trunks’ (topped with cheddar cheese, feta cheese, sweet chilli sauce and a chilli popper)
- ‘The BOOM BOOM Burger’ (topped with tomato relish, biltong dust, chilli cream cheese and sliced battered jalapeno rings)
There’s also the option of ‘sliders’ where you get three smaller burgers – perfect if you’re struggling to choose only one option on the menu. The chicken, ostrich and vegetarian burger options look fantastic as well but I haven’t tried them just yet.
In addition to the awesome burgers, Hudsons also serves salads and pizzas. And don’t let me forget – the chilli poppers are delicious as well. Choose the standard chilli poppers made with three cheeses or go for the bacon-wrapped option with a blue cheese dip.
On the drinks side of things, you’ll find some good beers on tap and the cocktails are massive (and well-priced). If you’re feeling adventurous and you have a sweet tooth, then the spiked milkshake option might be exactly what you’re looking for. Flavours include peanut butter, roasted banana, chocolate brownie, Bar-One and more.
You’ll find Hudsons in Protea Road, Claremont (where Greens used to be). For bookings, phone 021 674 5152. I’ll definitely be back there soon!