Kleinmond is the place to be on the weekend of 2 – 3 March 2012 if you’re a fan of quality blues music. The small coastal town will be hosting the second Big Blues Music Festival which features some of South Africa’s best blues musicians.
The festival will take place at the upgraded Kleinmond Harbour, which features a variety of restaurants, bars and shops in the adjacent Harbour Road. Facilities at the festival include a 1,050 square metre marquee, safe parking, arts stalls and a kiddies club. There’ll also be a buddy-bus to get you home safely.
The line-up at this year’s Big Blues Festival features some exciting new and established artists such as Natasha Meister, Albert Frost & The Blues Broers, the Gerald Clark Band, Southern Gypsey Queen, the Boulevard Blues Band, Vusi Mahlasela and Dan Patlansky.
The full line-up looks like this:
Friday 2 March 2012:
- 15h00 – 15h45: Tribal Echo
- 16h00 – 16h45: Ballistic Blues
- 17h00 – 17h45: Diamondback Blues Band
- 18h00 – 18h45: Gian Groen Blues Band
- 19h00 – 19h45: Natasha Meister
- 20h00 – 21h00: The Gerald Clark Band
- 21h15 – 22h45: Albert Frost & The Blues Broers
- 23h00 – midnight: Black Cat Bones
Saturday 3 March 2012:
- 11h00 – 11h45: Hellfire Blues Club
- 12h00 – 12h45: Sixgun Gospel
- 13h00 – 13h45: Crimson House Blues
- 14h00 – 14h45: Tony & the Trailer Cats
- 15h00 – 15h45: In The Deepend
- 16h00 – 16h45: The Studerbakers
- 17h00 – 17h45: Charlie King Band
- 18h00 – 19h00: Southern Gypsey Queen
- 19h15 – 20h15: The Boulevard Blues Band
- 20h30 – 21h30: Vusi Mahlasela
- 21h45 – 22h45: Dan Patlansky
- 23h00 – midnight: Piet Botha & The Lyzyrd Kyngs
Paul Bothner Music is also coming to the party and will be offering guitar and vocal workshops for aspiring blues musicians, together with a couple of the artists from the line-up.
Tickets for the festival are available from Computicket and prices range from R130 to R250. There’s no charge for kids aged 12 years and under.