Luxury, style, power, with some attitude thrown into the mix… that’s the new Bentley Continental GT V8 for you. Making its official debut in South Africa last month, the new 4.0 litre, twin turbocharged V8 Continental GT coupé achieves exceptional standards in the high luxury sports car sector. And with looks to match, it’s going to turn heads wherever you drive.
The Continental GT V8 engine delivers maximum power of 500 bhp (507 PS / 373 Kw) at 6000 rev/min and an extraordinary peak torque of 660 Nm (487 lb ft) which is available across virtually the entire rev range – from 1700 to 5000 rev/min. This provides exhilarating performance and effortless power delivery in true Bentley tradition. Combined with a new close-ratio 8-speed automatic transmission, this translates into a 0 – 60 mph sprint time of 4.6 seconds for the GT coupé (0 – 100 km/h in 4.8 seconds) and a top speed of 188 mph (303 km/h).
At the same time, the new Continental GT V8 delivers a 40 per cent improvement in fuel efficiency and CO2 emissions in the luxury performance sector – it’s capable of travelling over 500 miles (800 km) on a single tank of fuel. These improvements are in line with Bentley’s environmental commitment but that doesn’t mean you can’t sit back and enjoy the instantly recognisable growl of a 4.0 litre Bentley V8 engine.
Although the car provides the status and extraordinary lifestyle due to any Bentley owner, it’s noticeably different to anything that Bentley has produced in the past. The Continental GT V8 boasts a more youthful, contemporary and fashionable style. Some of the stand-out features include a black gloss matrix grille with chrome frame and centre bar displaying a red enamel Bentley ‘B’ badge, twin chromed ‘figure eight’ exhaust tailpipes in the rear and modern Dark Fiddleback Eucalyptus veneers inside the cabin.
Since the launch of the original GT in 2003, the W12-engined Continental range has enjoyed sales of over 50,000 worldwide. That makes Bentley’s factory in Crewe, England, the largest producer of 12 cylinder engines in the world. With the new Continental GT V8, the legacy of the Continental is set to continue well into the future…
Here are some highlights and key features of the new Bentley Continental GT V8:
Distinctive sporting style:
- Gloss black matrix grille with bright chrome surround and divider
- Three-segment lower bumper with black air intakes and striking body-coloured dividers
- Dark rear lower valance
- Distinctive twin ‘figure eight’ exhaust tailpipes
- Red enamel Bentley winged ‘B’ badges above the front grille, to the bootlid and wheel centres
- 7 exterior colours offered in standard range
Sporty, contemporary interior:
- New Dark Fiddleback Eucalyptus veneer unique to the V8 model
- Eliade cloth headlining and pillar trim
- Short centre console in place of W12 through-console
- 4 hide colours offered in standard range
- Unique two-tone leather colour split
Exhilarating, efficient new 4.0 litre V8 engine:
- Exceptional power-to-emissions ratio reflecting engine efficiency
- Variable displacement (a technology first proven on the Mulsanne) imperceptibly cuts 4 cylinders on cruise and light throttle
- Switchable engine mounts ensure refinement
- Engine optimisation technologies boost efficiency
- New, close-ratio, 8-speed transmission offers 6 per cent efficiency gain with ultra-fast shifts
- Turbochargers mounted within ‘V’ for efficiency and fast response
- Over 500 miles (800 km) range on one tank of fuel
- Distinctive V8 growl
- All-wheel drive system with 40:60 rear biased torque split
Bentley performance with 40 per cent efficiency gain:
- Engine Optimisation
- Variable displacement
- 8 Speed Transmission
- Thermal Management
- Low rolling resistance tyres
For more information, visit www.southafrica.bentleymotors.com. Otherwise, visit the Bentley Cape Town showroom at 10 Hospital Street, Harbour Edge Building, Cape Town (021 419 0595).